Uncle Harry's 'Urban Farmacy'
In February 2012, Uncle Harry and family bought a beautiful 9 acre farm in Redmond, Washington. In an effort to make our farm a thriving community space, we would like to share our mission statement and goals with you.
We want to create a farm, a beautiful place with a healthy environment, where herbs, nuts, seeds, flowers, vegetables and fruits, are grown using strictly organic practices. We want to go about our business using win-win practices, where it is a win for the environment and wildlife, and a win for us humans.
Long term goals
- Achieve Organic Certification
- Achieve Salmon Safe Certification
- Grow herbs and flowers for drying and distilling into essential oils
- Grow vegetables
- Provide informational guided tours on all the varieties of plants we are growing
- Host classes on a variety of subjects, ranging from growing nutritious organic food to using what nature readily offers for innovative and effective health and beauty care
- Provide opportunities for volunteering and learning
- Provide opportunities for the public to come experience Uncle Harry's body care products in a brand new way. Earth to skin, from your favorite next of kin, Uncle Harry that is.
Goals for this growing season
- Complete stream restoration - working toward resolving the land violations with the county, and at the same time becoming eligible for a salmon safe farm certification.
- Fix up the existing greenhouse
- Prepare earth for planting
- Keep vegetation cut low
- Install silt fences
- Plow the earth
- Spread organic fertilizers like cow and horse manure into the soil
- Plant lavender and other medicinal herb starts